Wednesday, November 11, 2009

T Party Express: So Long, Mr. Selfish

The T Party Express is chugging through the Valley of Deep Thoughts. Don't worry - we'll be out of here in no time.

The act of denying yourself or dying to self is necessary for submission to God's will. Putting your partner first is also an important element in a happy marriage. My marriage deteriorated so quickly since July because one spouse plunged willfully into an extremely selfish fantasy phase, thus renouncing every pledge he made to God and to his wife, leaving said wife with a bad case of spiritual and emotional whiplash. I can only imagine how God feels.

The good news is that, after I engaged in what politicians call opposition research, I got my STBX (soon to be ex-husband) to admit what he is doing in his parallel universe. I am by nature a dogged troubleshooter and problem solver. Exhausted by his lies, I finally put all the clues and tidbits of information together to understand why my STBX changed 180 degrees in such a short time and where it is leading him.

Can you say plop-plop-fizz-fizz? Oh, what a relief it is. I have done what I can to safeguard his soul, albeit with no apparent success, and am no longer transporting his numerous burdens on the T Party Express. I dumped them at the intersection of Mommy Issues and Self Delusion.

My faith in the act of denying yourself is steadfast as ever. Two of my favorite Contemporary Christian Music songs explain the concept better than I can.

Chris Sligh
is the most talented American Idol contestant in 8 years never to make the top 5. He was my season 6 favorite and is building a solid career as a singer/songwriter in the Christian, country and pop crossover genres. His composition Empty Me explains how even the perks of fame are no substitute for God.



So Long Self by Mercy Me is a hopping, rocking tune that covers the same territory, but it contains one of my favorite lyrics that applies to my situation. Heh.

Don't feel so bad (don't feel so bad)
There'll be better days (there'll be better days)
Don't go away mad (but by all means)
Just go away, go away




Previous stops:

Here's Where the Story Ends by the Sundays (1990).

Broken by Lighthouse (2009).

God Shaped Hole by Plumb (1999).

The Thrill Is Gone by B.B. King (1970).

Love and Regret by Deacon Blue (1989).

Real Gone Kid by Deacon Blue (1989).

My Book by the Beautiful South (1990).

A Little Time by the Beautiful South (1990).

Your Ex-Lover Is Dead by Stars (2005).

This Woman's Work by Kate Bush (1989).

Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division (1980).

Reptile by the Church (1988).

Accidents Will Happen by Elvis Costello (1979).

Tears Run Rings by Marc Almond (1987).

Killing Moon by Echo and the Bunnymen (1984).

Love Lies Bleeding by Elton John (1973).

Last Time Forever by Squeeze (1985).

Conjure Me by the Afghan Whigs (1992).

Debonair by the Afghan Whigs (1993).

Hallelujah by Jason Castro (2009).

Total Recall by the Sound (1985).

Fly by Jars of Clay (2002).

Train in Vain by the Clash (1980).

It's My Life by Talk Talk (1984).

No comments: