Saturday, October 22, 2005

I Still Oppose the Miers Nomination

N. Z. Bear is calling on bloggers to declare their support for or opposition to the nomination of Harriet Miers. The Truth Laid Bear tracking page charts bloggers pro and con.

I oppose the Miers nomination. I expressed my concerns here, here, here, here, here and here. However, I cannot improve on the remarks published this weekend by George Will and Professor Stephen Bainbridge.

Hugh Hewitt writes that it "is disappointing to see both Judge Bork and George Will run off the cliff in the same week, and to do so with such intemperate rhetoric." Has Hugh become so disconnected from his own bitter invective and inconsistencies that he thinks he holds the higher moral standing to chastise Bork and Will for erecting a rhetorical bridge too far? I fear that Hewitt has built a bridge to nowhere that would be the envy of Senator Ted Stevens - and I hope that he is not so invested in partisan support for a nominee he would never have chosen himself that he cannot find his way back.