Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Put Your Green on Red

Buyblue.org features an online directory created by its President Raven Brooks to rank companies according to their political affiliation(s). On Brooks' scale, 0% is purely Republican, 100% is purely Democrat, and the white middle is a neutral zone. The website's name reveals its mission statement, although Brooks is performing a service equally instructive for the GOP-inclined.

The fledgling list is far from comprehensive but reflects an early dominance of scarlet and miniver. I was not surprised to find Starbucks ranked at the top. I was pleasantly surprised that Trader Joe's, my favorite specialty market also frequented by hippies and yuppies, is in the neutral zone.

Bluish boycotters have Costco in their corner, but will they trade their weekly specials at Target, Wal-Mart and K-Mart for bulk buying? Will Urban Outfitters hipsters transfer their spending loyalties to the Gap and Old Navy labels?

I am happier than ever to be a customer of Amazon, another welcome surprise. Finally I understand why Barnes & Noble never stocks my favorite conservative authors. Now my husband will really savor the flavor at his favorite chain restaurants, Olive Garden and Outback Steakhouse. Heck, I'll even let him supersize at Mickey D's.

We search via Google and Yahoo on all four of our HP computers. I don't think I can give up sipping on a Venti Coffee Frapuccino Light as I run errands in one of our family's Fords. I still refuse to shop at Ralphs and Vons until they lower their prices. Dittos for Target due to their wrong-headed ban on the Salvation Army.

Color-blind shopping may be easier for Republicans who are used to subsidizing art and media produced by those who have contempt for us and our values. If Democrats are determined to politicize everything, including the businesses they patronize, the movement responsible for the Cold War slogan better red than dead will paint its followers into a cramped indigo corner. Call it the cut-off-your-nose-to-spite-your-foes blues.

Can you hear me now?

No comments: