Sunday, July 18, 2010

It Was 22 Years Ago Today

The supervisor who hired me 22 years ago today did so, she said, because I exuded stick-to-it-iveness. I sure stuck to this job, proving her prescient, although truthfully I was a single mother just looking for a steady paycheck. I’m definitely not a quitter and enjoy solving problems.

One of my favorite quotes is attributed to Thomas Edison: “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” In my case, opportunity has looked a lot like a library. I have worked in libraries – academic, public, and corporate – for all but two years of my career. I am naturally drawn to books, organized systems, and service. My job entails multiple duties in addition to operating a library and, although frequently overwhelming and crazy-making, I enjoy every last minute of it.

I am thankful to God for a job that enabled me to raise my son by myself, for remaining employed in this embattled economy and during this personally challenging year, and for feeling well enough to keep working throughout my 7-year cancer odyssey. Here are a few of my favorite work-related videos. Enjoy!

Welcome to the Working Week – Elvis Costello




Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs




No comments: