Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Elliott Done Been Screwed and Knows It

Last night on American Idol, Elliott Yamin performed I Believe to My Soul by Ray Charles as his personal selection. The lyrics may hold special meaning.

Since I live in Southern California, I can listen to Elliott's mp3s that Rickey so generously posts hours before American Idol airs on the west coast. He sounded consistently good throughout all three songs and excellent in parts. Then I watched the show. On What You Won't Do for Love, he danced around more than he has since I Don't Wanna Be. Maybe I watch too closely, but he just seemed down personally. I hope he is okay.

Those of us who watch Elliott obsessively noticed that his sparkle and ready smile were missing. His voice was a little hoarse on Open Arms. When he spoke, he sounded husky. Usually hyper and nervous, he seemed resigned and subdued. Something changed him. Maybe the hustle and bustle of traveling home to Richmond and back this past week exacted a toll on his health. Maybe it was the writing on the wall - too many AI judges and producers foretelling a future without him before a note had been sung or a single vote cast. Despite the fact that some Soul Patrollers think the relationship between Taylor Hicks and Elliott is like the Skipper and his Little Buddy, Elliott is far from stupid.

On Good Day LA this morning, entertainment reporter Dorothy Lucey said that, for the first time this season, the contestant eliminated tonight will not be available for an interview tomorrow. On Thursday, May 19, 2005, AI4 third place finisher Vonzell Solomon made the usual media rounds: MTV, Rodney Ho, etc.

A commenter at MJ's Big Blog with the user name Canuck posted this comparison of the singing times American Idol allotted to each contestant last night.

Total Song time = sum of all three songs from beginning to end
Singing time = total song time, less intro and any non-singing time at end

KATHARINE
Total Song 5:31
Singing 5:12

TAYLOR
Total Song 5:20 (97% of Kat's)
Singing 4:54 (94% of Kat's)

ELLIOTT
Total Song 4:30 (82% of Kat's, 84% of Tay's)
Singing 4:07 (79% of Kat's, 84% of Tay's)

Katharine's longest singing time was 2:33, Elliott's longest singing time was 1:38 -- a difference of 55 seconds. Elliott's two shortest songs together had less singing time than Kat's longest. If Kat had left out her shortest song, her total singing time would have been only 1 second less than Elliott's. Kat's shortest singing time was 4 seconds less than Elliott's shortest singing time. Taylor had 18 seconds less singing time than Kat, Elliott had 1:05 less than Kat. Okay, I'll stop.

Just for fun, the raw numbers, longest to shortest singing time:

PERFORMER, SONG TITLE, SONGTIME/SINGINGTIME

Katharine, Somewhere Rainbow, 2:33/2:33
Taylor, Try Little Tenderness, 1:49/1:45
Taylor, You Are So Beautiful, 1:56/1:44
Elliott, I Believe To My Soul, 1:45/1:38
Katharine, I Believe I Can Fly, 1:41/1:33
Taylor, Dancing in the Dark, 1:35/1:25
Elliott, Open Arms, 1:27/1:19
Elliott, Won't Do For Love, 1:18/1:10
Katharine, Ain't Got Nothin' Blues, 1:17/1:06


Read these song lyrics and see if there isn't a screw-you message to the American Idol Idiots-in-Charge or somebody who done him wrong. Perhaps I am projecting my frustrations with the heavy-handed favoritism and manipulations. But, when Simon gave him his kiss-off, Elliott did not look surprised.

One of these days, and it won't be long,
You're gonna look for me and I'll be gone
'Cause I believe (I believe, yes I believe)
I say I believe right now (I believe, yes I believe)
Well I believe to my soul now,
You're tryin' to make a fool of me (I believe it, I believe it)

Well you're goin' 'round here with your head so hard,
I think I'm gonna have to use my rod
'Cause I believe (I believe, yes I believe)
I say I believe right now (I believe, yes I believe)
Well I believe to my soul now
You're tryin' to make a fool of me (I believe it, I believe it)

Last night you were dreaming and I heard you say
"Oh, Nelly" when you know my name is Elliott Yamin
That's why I believe right now (I believe, yes I believe)
I say I believe right now (I believe, yes I believe)
Well I believe to my soul now
You're tryin' to make a fool of me (I believe it)